Thursday, November 29, 2012

What We've Been Eating

I've abandoned most menu posts (actually most posts have been abandoned it seems...) since we have been eating the same things over and over again.

But in the last couple of months I've been making our menu out a month at a time and buying all the non-perishable items needed for the month at one time.  I also pull all the recipes I'll need for the month and have them ready on a clip board, although I am thinking I'll switch to putting them in my home binder.  It has saved me a lot of time and energy to have most everything I need when I need it.  I do still have to get fresh fruits/veggies along with eggs and the items we run out of each week, but I've found myself shopping much less!

My intentions in this new plan were to also pull several new recipes out to try.  And we have.  I think we've been averaging at least one new recipe each week.  Most have been yummy, some just few okay and won't make the cut for our recipe binders.

Here are a few that we've tried and liked in the last couple of months.  I seem to have stopped taking many pictures in addition to not blogging.

Slow Cooker Parmesan Honey Pork Roast-this was delicious and made quite a few meals as leftovers!



Chicken Ranch Pasta-This was so easy and fairly quick to make and a hit with all of us!
Lazy Sunday Casserole-I didn't make it on Sunday, but this was very yummy.  The flavors combined to make this one of my favorites!  (Note:  I didn't add the fennel bulb since they were pricey and we are not huge fans of that flavor.)
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup-By far the easiest potato soup I've ever made!  And very tasty!
San Francisco Pork Chops-This was better than I expected, but a little dry.
Ranch Style Chicken-This has become one of our favorite meals.  Everyone always wants more!
Garlic Pesto Chicken with Tomato Cream Penne- It lacked some flavor the first time around, so the second time I added more spices and it's a definite keeper!
The Best Beef Dip Sandwich-And it was indeed, one of the best I've tried.
Oven Fried Chicken-I hate to fry food so I jumped at the chance to make this.  I used chicken breasts that I  cut into strips because that is what I had.  The girls have asked for this several times since.  I'm thinking it may become a good meal for lunch. Very flavorful! 
Peanut Butter Bread-This was every bit as delicious as I expected!


Tomato Cream Shrimp Pasta-I loosely used the recipe to concoct a recipe with what I had on hand one night when I had forgotten to thaw anything for supper.  They all loved it!  I omitted the jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, and added a few spices of my own.  Don't ask me to remember which ones!


Even though things have been extra crazy these last several months, the monthly menu seems to be working.  I've tried it in the past and it hasn't worked, so I am happy it seems like it will at this season. And one of the joys is that even though I have each night assigned a meal (I plan easier meals on nights I know we have something to do), I can look at the calendar and switch them around if something comes up.  I also plan a couple of easy meals that are "alternates" and keep the ingredients on hand in case I don't feel like cooking or need to make a meal for someone else.

What have you been eating lately? 

1 comment:

Kim said...

I love the pictures to go along with the recipe links!